Re: rough idle

Neil -

Had similar problems with my '99 WE. The technical answer was "Throttle Body Idle Adaptation Limit Reached".
Basically, the throttle body can't be tweaked any further by the ECU to keep the idle steady. With mine, the
idle would be erratic and /or unmaintainable with the A/C engaged after a long run on the highway.
VW swapped the throttlebody under warranty the first time, since then I've learned that the T-body is simply
dirty/sooty. Pull the intake hose from the t-body and inspect the throat with the plate open. I used
carb/t-body cleaner on a lintless rag to *carefully* clean it up. Some just spray the cleaner into the t-body
until it's clean. That can make for one hard start the first time afterwards (don't ask...).

While you have it out, clean the intake hose. Most have found a minimum of a oil fim in it, more likely
a small puddle of oil near the crankcase vent tube. You might even find your air filter saturated with oil.
Kinda common on the 2.0L.

Once you have it all cleaned up and reassembled, start it and let it idle for 2 minutes for the ECU to
reset the idle parameters. Then hit the streets and see if it doesn't behave.

Regards,

Mike