rough idle

I've been having trouble with the idle speed on a 98 GL with about ~75000 mi. on it. The engine used to be all over the place after the car was just started, anywhere from ~500-1500 RPM. During driving it was rarely a problem. I thought it was some bad gas so I've used some STP brand and other gas treatments every tank for about a month and a half. The idle is ok at startup now but still persists when turning on the AC. Any ideas?
I suspect the fuel filter and am wondering if i should replace myself or take it to a shop. Is it a complicated task or a simple half hour job?
Any advice is appreciated.
-- Neil