RE: Help needed

Dan,

I had this same problem with my 97 Jetta GLX and what it ended up being was
the sensor for the emergency brake. If you look under the emergency brake
handle you will see the sensor make sure that the handle of the brake goes
completely down on top of it or that it hasn't shifted and the brake handle
misses it when it comes down. I was able to slide the sensor back over and
the brake light hasn't came on since. Hope this helps.

Dave