RE: A couple of questions...CRUISE CONTROL WOES

Rob, List,

The cruise control uses a vacuum pump to acuate the throttle.  I have
heard of cases where supposedly battery acid eats through one of the
vacuum lines, thereby causing issues with the system.  Then again, your
recent accident might have had something to do with this issue; think
about when the problem started.  It could be that the shop that rebuilt
your front end crimped or nicked a vacuum line, if it wasn't already
damaged.

I recently had to replace the cruise control ecu on my 94 GLX.  I had
problems with sporadic operation and finally sat down one Saturday
afternoon to diagnose it.  The Bentley manual (the best $45 I ever spent
on the car, IMHO) has a two-page diagnostic process that's comprehensive
yet very, very simple.  The twenty minutes involved with removing the
driver's under-dash cover, pulling the cruise control ecu down, and
using the harness connector to test the various system components (stalk
switches, pedal switches, speed sensor, vacuum pump, etc) are well
spent.  Tools needed:  screwdriver, 10mm and 13mm wrenches, and two
pieces of wire.  No more, no less.

I called around and found that a new ecu runs approximately $350 from
the dealer.  Used from recyclers they're approximately $50-75; I wound
up with a used one from a friend that operates perfectly.  I have no
clue what the other components cost.

Contact me off-list if you have other questions.

Good luck.
Seth