Re: speaker help

"Chadwick, John/COR/INV" wrote:

> I was thinking of getting some new speakers for the Jetta in the near
> future. Does anyone know the sizes of the speakers in the GLX? It isn't the
> Bose system, it's the crappy one. I was thinking of getting a new deck ,and
> then replacing the speakers at another time. Thanks for your help.
>
> Chadwick
> 95 Vento GLX

These speakers are known as 6 3/4", oversize 6 1/2, or 165mm. They are a
very common size in Euro cars, and are a "true" 6 1/2 in diameter (as
opposed to the 'murican 6/14, which is really 6 1/4 in diameter.) Most of
the Rockford, Cerwin, Boston, or the like 6 1/2's are NOT oversize, altho
occasionally you can find a set of Cerwin's sized for 6 3/4.

I prefer the Infinity setup, either in coax config or their separates.
They fit either a regular or oversize 6 1/2, and sound great. A pair will
set ya back around $100.

One note - be careful of the mounting depth of the door speakers. They have
no more than 2 1/2: rear depth (A3) and their front speaker grill/mounting
flange clearance quite limited. I have not found anything yet that will
easily fit in the A3 front doors without also requiring a custom grill...

RB