Re: Should I buy a Corrado SLC???

I understand exactly what ya mean.  My daily driver is an 87 Scirocco
16V.  I love the looks the car gets - ya know, the 'what the hell is
that?' looks.  I also love Corrados and came really close to buying one
a couple years ago (before the wife said 'hell no' - heh!).  The only
reason I recommend you get a BMW of some sort is because you mention
'track car'.  You don't mention your track or autox experience, but I
used to autox a Scirocco and finally got fed up.  I have been co-driving
a 95 325is locally and this has really turned me on to BMWs.  I sold my
97 Jetta GLX last month and have been looking for an E30 325is ever
since.  I'm not trying to say BMWs are better than VWs and also not
trying to perpetuate the BMW vs VW thread from last week.  It's just
that the ultra-smooth shifting and balance characteristics are simply
amazing and the car I co-drive is still on its stock shocks.  If you can
afford to get both, do it, but if you want a competitive track car and
fun street car, get a BMW.  If you only want a fun street car, get a
Corrado.  If I wasn't into autox, I'd have a Corrado.

If you are going for an E30, get an 'is' model.  They all have the LSD
and sport suspension.  You can't go wrong with those.  The LSD and sport
susp were options for the 'i' models, but are a bit hard to find and the
owners generally don't have a clue if they have the good stuff or not.
On the other hand, people selling 'is' models don't actually have an
'is' model.  All 'is' models should have the little fin thing on the
trunk and the 14 x 6.5" BBS wheels.  If you want more info, lemme know.
I finally bought myself an E30 last week (it's on a truck somewhere on
the way up here as we speak), so I've been learning about them a bit.  I
wanted an E30 M3, but they are still at least $10k for a nice one and
really aren't all that competitive in their current stock autox class
anyway.

Hope that helps...

Mike
87 Scirocco 16V
82 Rabbit 2.0T
88 325is (if the transport truck doesn't crash!)