Re: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?

I'm sure everyone is getting tired of the BMW v. VW comparison, but I just
thought I'd throw in a couple points.  I can't really compare my GLX to a BMW (I
have a 97, btw) because the only BMW's I've driven are a 87 535is (fabulous
car), a 91 M5 (much more fabulous car) and a quick test drive in a 97 Z3 (most
fun car I've ever driven).  I think it all comes down to "you get what you pay
for".  The Jetta is a good car, but not in the league at all with a BMW.  That's
to be expected, however, since it costs significantly less.  It's been said that
BMW's are "driving machines" and I have to agree.  But comparing the two really
isn't logical, since they are fundamentally different, i.e. VW uses fwd, BMW
uses (the proper set up for performance driving) rwd.  I don't want to get into
the argument we had months ago about rwd v. fwd v. awd, I think that showed that
there are benefits to all three set ups.  But you can't really compare two cars
that are that different.  Whoever said that VW's compare more with Hondas is
right on, except of course that Honda won't match a 5spd with their V6, which is
idiotic, IMO.

One thing to point out, Bill, not ALL BMW's put the battery in the right side
trunk.  I can't say for the whole line, but at the least, the M5 I've driven has
it under the rear bench seat.  Most may have them in the trunk, but not all.

I don't know the torque curve of the new 1.8T, but I just flat don't believe
that it is as good as any 6 cylinder (specifically at low rpm).  Maybe I'm
wrong, but that's the whole point of having more cylinders.  It has also been
said that most drivers don't spend all (or even some) time on the track.  I fall
into that category, I'd love to go play on a track, but I never have, so all of
my driving is around town, with some highway thrown in.  Therefore, I want good
low end torque for going around corners and such.  The high end stuff really
isn't that important, and that's where the turbo (usually) helps out.  Yes, the
VR6 is underpowered, I also believe we should have more than 12 valves, but it
could be worse.  At least we don't have a 3.4L V6 that only gets 175 hp, like
Pontiac makes.

All this being said, I am just biding time until I can afford a BMW, hopefully a
3.0L Z3 (although it's hard to fit a 6'5" body in one of those) and then I'll
keep the Jetta for winter driving.  The original question was 1.8T v. VR6,
though, and I have heard that starting next year (I think), the US is getting
the euro VR6, with 24 valves, which brings the hp up nicely to over 200.  My
advice would be to wait until that happens and stick with the VR6.  If you can
stand looking at the Mk4's, that is.  Some people like them, and that's fine,
but I think they're an embarrassment.  They just don't look or feel "German" to
me.  They could be any old Corolla or Accord or whatever you want, but they make
me think Japanese, not German.  But that's just my opinion.

Bottom line, I love my Mk3 GLX, I pine for a BMW, but I don't think it's really
fair to compare the two.  Let's look at apples to apples.

Cab
97glx
72bug