Re: Stage I Mods and Battery Problems

In a message dated 10/2/00 9:43:52 AM Central Daylight Time, Sniffner@aol.com
writes:

<< As far as the upgrades I'm think of perhaps a new K&N filter (seems like
 there are too many problems in removing the box it it's entirety), OBD chip
 and cat back exhaust.  I hear great reviews about the Garrett chip.  Is this
 a superior chip?  Where do I purchase from?  How much is it?  Is it easy to
 install?  Will it affect any of the existing electrical components?  As far
 as the cat back exhaust I'm thinking of the Techtonics TT Exhaust -
stainless
 but am stuck on the exhaust.  I'm looking for a beautiful looking tailpiece
 with a sophisticated growl (Remus perhaps???) and not a whining, resonating,
 super loud, obnoxious sound.  Any other quick, inexpensive mods. I should be
 looking at at this time?  I will work on suspension next.  All is
appreciated. >>

Can't help with the suspected alternator problem, sorry.

 1. Garrett chip is the way to go. Order from www.awe-tuning.com, about $125
(when I got mine, anyway). Know your ECU code letter (K, N, etc.) and read
the instructions that come with the chip. Install is easy.

2. There has been much debate regarding modifying the airbox and adding a K&N
vs the open-element filter mod. I (and many) went the mod airbox/K&N route
because it's less prone to heat-soak, less likely to cause problems (falling
off, for example) and a better "stealth" mod if you have to deal with the
dealer service department while still in warranty, obviously not a concern
for you (I was at the time).

3. Almost as many opinions regarding the cat-back as there are the
open-element/K&N issue. I'll be going with a SuperSprint cat-back; I've
driven a GTI VR6  with this system, and found it to be both throaty, and at
the same time, quiet enough that you can still carry a conversation at
highway speed. You can get the tips in a variety of shapes, my personal
choice is dual round stainless. I had a TT cat-back on my 88 Jetta, and it
was a bit too loud for my liking, even at speed. Of course, nothing beats the
factory exhaust for quiet, but it does nothing to help open up the engine
breathing.

I've got a set of SPAX lowering (60 mm) that I'll let go cheap, if you want
them. Putting on H&R race springs with Koni adjustables.

David Steele
1998 JettaGLX TRed
1988 Jetta Coupe Atlas Gray
1987 Jetta Marine Blue