Stage I Mods and Battery Problems

Hello.

I own a 96 GLX with 82,000 miles.  It's paid for and in almost new condition.
 I'm looking to install some after market performance components in my GLX.
I currently have the airbox removed, several hoses/shrouds, etc. as my
battery was dead (10.5 v) because I haven't driven the car in almost three
month.  I'm also thinking that my alternator is on its way out.  I replaced
the original battery a few years ago.  Every once in a while I smell this
burning/electrical odor and suspect my alternator is on it's way out.  Any
suggestions?  Could it be the alternator causing my batteries to go dead and
emitting the bad odor?

As far as the upgrades I'm think of perhaps a new K&N filter (seems like
there are too many problems in removing the box it it's entirety), OBD chip
and cat back exhaust.  I hear great reviews about the Garrett chip.  Is this
a superior chip?  Where do I purchase from?  How much is it?  Is it easy to
install?  Will it affect any of the existing electrical components?  As far
as the cat back exhaust I'm thinking of the Techtonics TT Exhaust - stainless
but am stuck on the exhaust.  I'm looking for a beautiful looking tailpiece
with a sophisticated growl (Remus perhaps???) and not a whining, resonating,
super loud, obnoxious sound.  Any other quick, inexpensive mods. I should be
looking at at this time?  I will work on suspension next.  All is appreciated.

Mike
96 GLX Blk/Blk