Cruise control kaput

I know this has been kicked around before but am not sure a consensus ever
came out.  Now that it has happened to me I will ask it again.

The cruise control on my 97 GLX is on the fritz.  It works some of the time
but will not stay on for very long.  Other times it won't engage at all.  I
tried the suggestions (pull up on the clutch and brake) and never get good
result.  I even pulled up on both clutch and brake and try to engage with no
luck.  I know the switch on the turn signal stalk is good (I can hear a
slight click of AM radio interference when I try to turn on or set the
speed) so I am down to a bad cruise control module/relay.  I have not
consulted Bentley yet.

Have others had similar problems when the cruise goes bad?  Any fixes?  Any
diagnostic tests?  Thanks for any help.

Marc
97'  GLX - Red/Black