almost grinding noise from engine (PLS HELP)

  Folks,

I am experiencing a very disconcerting noise from my car. It all started
after my last oil change.......

  I went to the hobby place on my installation, and put the car on the lift.
I opened the oil fill cap, and raised the car. I pulled the drain plug,
emptying the sump, replaced the plug, then pulled the filter. Once drained,
I installed the new filter, then I installed my Turn2 lower front motor
mount. I lowered the car, cleaned up my stall, paid for my time (a total of
$3 I think), and then got in my car.
  I put the key into the slot, and turned it. The engine cranked, but with a
terrible sound I'd never heard before - it was almost a grinding noise, only
it was not shrill, it was a deeper sound. I was not very happy with the
noise, but I figured it was a one-time thing. BTW, the sound was at the
beginning of the cranking - sort of GRINDDDVVROOOOM.
  What's bothering me is that now, at the TAIL end of nearly every start-up,
I get a similar (although muted) sound. It is sort of cyclic, too. It
repeats itself in rapid sequence two or three times. It's now like
VVVROOOOM-WHUMP-WHUMP-WHUMP, and then everything is normal. I thought it
might be a clutch issue, but I start in neutral. I do depress the clutch, so
I started it a few times without doing that (my car will let me do it, even
as a 96), and it still made the noise. It makes me fear my oil pump is not
working as fast as it should, or that I hadn't put in enough oil (which I
did). I thought of other problems, like piston-cylinder interface problems,
crankshaft issues, or even a sticking cam. In my mind so far, I have only
considered lubrication problems. Any other suggestions? I think I need a new
belt, but I'm not sure that would have much effect on what I'm talking
about. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David John
'96 JIII GLX "Growling" edition