Re: whine/squeak and belt question (pls read)

achtungvr6@hotmail.com writes:

<< Sorry to prove my ignorance, but I want to know when I should consider
 replacing the serpentine belt. Is it a home mechanic job, or should I get
 the dealer to do it? How much should I anticipate spending? >>

I don't recall how much my parts guy said the belt was, but it wasn't
hair-raisingly (a word?) high. It's not that bad a job for a home project, as
long as you have the tools. You don't say how many miles on it, but if it's
mouse-ing, it's probably time. Check the tensioner while you're in there.
Should not bind, or have lateral play.

David Steele
1998 JettaGLX TRed
1988 JettaGL White