Re: Need help on buying a 2000 Jetta

At 10:40 PM -0500 03/28/2000, Jdr050@aol.com wrote:
>OK.. the dealer really screwed me tonight!  The price of $21.5K is out the
>door.  Adding taxes, doc. fee and all the options I want brought the cost to
>$24K.  That is ridiculous!!!  I used the internet to gather info on dealer
>cost.  Here's what I came up with:
>
>Dealer invoice:         $18,164.00 (Jetta GLS VR6)
>Destination charge:       $525.00
>Luxury Pack (PJ3)       $1,037.00 (15" rims & moonroof)
>Monsoon sound:           $261.00
>Automatic trans:           $856.00
>CD changer                  $500.00
>Doc. fee:                     $200.00
>6% sales tax:             $1292.00
>Total cost:                $22,835.58 <----- Can this be the true cost
>                                                           the dealer buys it
>for?
>
>What the heck can I offer them?  $23,000.00?????

If that indeed was what the dealer bought it for, and I was the
salesperson, I wouldn't sell it to you for under $24,700.

However, I suspect that the dealership has a 'private invoice' or
something where their cost for the car is lower (due to incentives if
they produce a good buying experience, etc.) and they make money on
the luxury package, sound package, and CD changer.

If I were you, I'd start negotiating at $23,500. The dealer might
come back with $25,000. You can say I'll go with $24,000. They might
come back with $24,750 or less, and unless you can work them down,
buy it. Financed over 60 payments, the difference can be less than
$20/month.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax