Re: Need help on buying a 2000 Jetta

OK, listen up...

The GLS VR6 luxury package comes with 16" alloy wheels, not 15" alloy
wheels.  I think three people have said this already.  If you are going to
ask the list for information, please at least listen to what you are being
told.  That said, you may be able to convince the dealer to swap alloy
wheels from a 4cyl GLS to your VR6, which would be worth about $200 max (the
difference in price in the option packages), but they have to pay shop labor
for the work.  If you really really want 15" wheels, don't get the luxury
package and you'll get 15" steel wheels.  Anyway, lets start at the
beginning...

Lets talk MSRP:
$19,950  GLS VR6 base price
+$100  northeast emissions
+$875  automatic
+$1,375  luxury package
+$295  Monsoon
+$525  destination
+$500  dealer installed CD Changer
----------
$23,520

Now lets talk cost:
$18,164  GLS VR6 base price
+$99  northeast emissions
+$864  automatic
+$1,214  luxury package
+$261  Monsoon
+$525  destination
+$400  approx dealer cost of CD Changer
+$50  regional association fee  (might be $100)
+$25  port prep fee  (the dealer is billed these on the invoice from VW)
----------
$21,602**

OK, looking at the numbers, lets say you get a $1000 discount, which, from
what I hear, would be a very good deal for a silver automatic (both choices
are popular and in short supply) .  It also is a better deal than the
Consumer Reports recommended actual dealer cost +5% mark up buying strategy.
So..

$22,520 "out the door" price (this would be a how it would be priced in an
ad)
+$1352  NJ sales tax (you pay sales tax on the selling price)
+$200  MV and documentation fees
----------
 $24,072  cash price

That's the way it works.  $21-22k is certainly a lot of money, but it's not
going to get you a GLS VR6 the way you want it.  Maybe consider a 1.8T
without the luxury package.  Maybe get a 5sp without the luxury package.
How about leaving off the changer?  You can add it later on when you have
more money to spend.

**This may not include all the charges/fees.  It also doesn't take into
account holdback.  Edmunds says there is no holdback, but I heard it was 3%
this year ('99 was 2%), calculated on the base price plus factory installed
options (does not include destination, fees, and dealer installed options).
In the example above, it works out to an additional $618 off of dealer
invoice.  Even still, that leaves dealer cost at ~$21k (and maybe a $22k
pre-tax selling price) in this example.

-Chris