Re: Trunk Pop Light? Central locking button upgrade?

At 7:41 PM -0500 03/20/2000, Sean M. Brereton wrote:
>I have two things that I am looking for input on, both small interior details:
>
>1) Does the trunk pop button inside the mini-center console light up when
>you turn your lights on? Also, has anyone re-wired it so it only works with
>the ignition on? It seems dumb that VW made it so it is always active. This
>means that locking your seat backs is useless since a thief only has to
>break a window and use the trunk release button to gain access to your
>trunk.  The rewire seems simple, just looking to see if someone did it and
>if they have any hints.

No comment, looks like others covered this pretty well. I use the
locking console to store my wallet and keys when I go to the gym.
That way I can keep all my sensitive stuff in the console, and only
take my key into the gym.

>2) The '95 GLX's did not have a central locking button on the dash, but I
>have seen newer ones that have it in the row with the defroster buttons,
>where I have a blank or two. Has anyone had luck in retro fitting a '95
>car? If so, is it a case of the harness already being there and just buying
>the switch, or do you have to go and interface with the locking system and
>run wires up into the dash to feed the switch?

Someone, I forgot who, wired up the blank spot in the 96 and newer
Jetta's to a garage door opener. I should do the same some time, but
haven't come up with a good spot to hide the opener. I guess I'd need
another switch (don't know where to get one though) and run them to
the opener switch that I could rig up with a little sottering iron.
Still, there's the catch of hiding the opener.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax