RE: Rear speaker ripped out

Dan sez>

> I have to watch the wallet so any advice would be appreciated.
> I know I can go to crutchfield but what should I get?  I have blau Las
> Vegas.

I have two suggestions:

If you want near Component sound quality, but not the Component price,
consider Boston Acoustics RM6.  They retail for $250, and you should be
able to get them installed for that price.

If you want a budget minded speaker that's pretty good for a coax,
then consider the Boston Acoustics RX67.  They retail for $150, and
again, you should be able to get them installed at that price.

The reason I recommend BA's is that they are a speaker company.  They
really don't make anything else.  Therefore, they can't afford for
their "only" product to be poor, or they have nothing to fall back
on.  This is not true of Sony, Clarion, Blaupunkt, Jensen, Kenwood,
Pioneer, etc.  These manufacturers make everything - perhaps well,
but not great.

Polk audio might also be a good choice, but I don't have any direct
experience with them.  Comparing specs on the Polk speakers to the
BA speakers, the Polk's are less efficient (won't be as loud/per driven
amp) and handle less power (will distort at lower SPL).  On paper
the BA's look better.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Crutchfield.  Their prices aren't
materially different than the prices at my local install shop, and
the local shop includes installation, doubles the warranty, and gives
me a human to complain to if I don't like the result.

Since you mentioned that you changed the head unit, but nothing
else, I'm assuming all of the other speakers are stock and the small
Bose amp is still in place.  If that's the case, I'm not sure that
any of these speakers will sound as loud as the stock speakers, since
the above are 4 ohm speakers and I think the stock speakers have a
lower impedance level.  I don't know of any low impedence 6 1/2" coax
speakers to recommend.

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX