Tires...

I have done loads of research on tires, and thought I'd share my
findings so that those of you who find my criteria for tire purchase
are similar to your own can benefit from it. If you're not interested
in my thesis on tires, delete this puppy now... it's long... ;)

MY CRITERIA
-----------

My criteria for tires to purchase were based on the following factors:

1. Considering I live in a very rainy part of the U.S. (Washington
State) I wanted all-season tires, with good wet traction, and
resistance to hydroplaning.

2. Considering our cars are sporty sedans, I didn't want tires that
weren't capable of holding the ground in sporty driving. I wanted
tires that would at least match my suspension-- an aftermarket
Neuspeed SofSport package with Bilstein shocks.

3. I wanted tires that had an average to good treadwear rating. My
thoughts on this was, "if I buy a more expensive tire and end up
replacing it less often, that is a better value than cheaper tires
that wear faster".

4. The tires I pick must be tires I have heard of before, either on
this list, or elsewhere on the net, or from friends-- and not just
once or twice, consistent referrals are a good thing.

5. I didn't want to plus-size (16 or 17" rims) because my budget for
replacing the GA's was $500, which means keeping the current rims,
and therefore, the same tire size (actually you may get away with a
slightly larger tire, but I wanted to keep the size on the tire the
same)...

6. I wanted tires ASAP.

This narrowed things down to the range of what are commonly called
"Performance All Season Tires", or "Ultra Performance All Season
Tires" in the 205/50-15 range (stock size for A3 Jettas).

THE FIELD
---------

The first set of tires I considered were the following:

Pilot XGT Z4
Pirelli P7000 SuperSport
Toyo Proxes FZ4
Dunlop SP8000

I heard a few good things about certain Bridgestone and BF Goodrich
tires. And due to my disgust with the Eagle GA's, I didn't even
consider buying a Goodyear tire. These were potentially crucial
decisions that you may choose not to make. Bridgestone, BF Goodrich,
and Goodyear may very well make great tires for our cars, or for your
needs. It was convenient to exclude them because I either didn't know
enough about them, or didn't want another Goodyear tire. Also rans in
the early competition were Yokohama and Kumho tires. I did not
consider very many other types of tires. You should know this,
because chances are there may be some great tires out there I don't
know about, such as maybe Nitto, or BF Goodrich, etc. If I didn't
name it here, I probably didn't know about it. Don't go flaming me
about these arbitrary decisions. I know they're arbitrary. I'm not
purporting to say I made the best decision possible, but one of the
criteria was coming to a decision quickly, and I figured that if I
missed out on the "perfect tire", I wouldn't have missed by much by
selecting the tires above. I don't think anyone can argue that the
tires I missed out on are THAT OUTRAGEOUSLY BETTER than the tires
above in the $125 or less per tire range.

Plus, this is my little article, and if you don't like my arbitrary
decisions, go write your own article. :)

Anyhow, I narrowed the field down another step by eliminating the
Toyo Proxes FZ4. Based on some comments on some web site (it was like
integrapower.com) I had enough concern that the FZ4 could potentially
lose it's initial stickiness after 10,000 miles. I didn't put a lot
of faith in this report from the integra site, but considering there
weren't very many bad reports on the other tires, I felt it was
(conveniently) reason enough to reduce the field. There was another
reason for this, which I'll go into next...

THE COMPETITION
---------------

The Tire rack web site (http://www.tirerack.com) was very helpful in
determining the remainder of my criteria.

I did not end up buying my tires from Tire Rack, and I feel compelled
to explain why. First, I believe in supporting businesses that have a
good web site. I believe in this because building web sites is what
my business does. I figure the people that "get it" have good
websites, and therefore deserve to be awarded with my business. For
this reason, Tire Rack *should* get my business alone (they've got a
lot of good information!), especially considering how much I used
their site for getting information about tires, and what sizes were
available for each tire, etc.

But I did not, because I also believe in instant gratification. And
while the Internet adds a lot of value, there is no value in buying
from option A, and having them installed at option B, for an
additional cost.

And the other reason why I eliminated the Toyo Proxes is that I think
Les Schwab is a scary man with a scary company (I bet he gets a lot
of truck drivers buying tires from him though-- plus--- FREE BEEF!),
and that is the only vendor of Toyo tires in this area. Also, his web
site MASSIVELY sucks. Combined with the negative comments of how the
tires wear, I (conveniently) eliminated the Toyos.

I selected Discount Tire as my preferred vendor, for the following reasons:

a) They carried Pirelli, Dunlop, and Michelin.
b) They had a good web site.
c) There are stores locally I could go to.
d) Friends of mine had good experiences there.

The Discount Tire (or maybe it was Tire Rack?!) site educated me
about one thing. There is no such thing as a Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 in
our size. You must go down to the Pilot XGT V4 which is fairly
similar, but V-rated (which still means you can go well over 120mph
with them).

GETTING DOWN TO BUSINESS
------------------------
I did all of the above, before even going to a store, and checking
availability.  I only went Sears the first day because I went on
Sunday, and everyone else was closed.

So, the immediate thing I learned the first day was:
DON'T TRY TO BUY TIRES ON SUNDAY.

Sears Auto Center didn't have 4 of any tire worth buying.

Doing some more research that night on the Tire Rack web site, I saw
review after review after review of people RAVING about the Dunlop SP
8000's. The ratings on the Michelins and the Pirelli's were good, but
not quite as enthusiastic as the Dunlops. Further, I figured, these
are $40 to $140 less (considering all four tires) than the Michelins
or Pirellis. There is no reason I SHOULDN'T select the Dunlops,
except maybe for increased wear, but if I end up saving $120 over the
next "x" years, and I only end up saving myself "x+1" years by buying
a more expensive tire, there isn't much of a long term cost benefit
to buy the more expensive tires, I'm just out the $100 until I have
to replace the Dunlops a little earlier than the other, potentially
longer wearing tires...

The next day, I went to Discount Tire and they didn't have any of the
tires in stock. I even had them look up to see if they had Michelins
or Pirellis. Although I wanted to do business with Discount tire
(assuming they could match, within 10%, the prices I saw online,
which were roughly $124 for the Michelin, $105 for the Pirelli, and
$90 for the Dunlops), I said thanks, but no thanks, and went along to
see if any other local stores had them (or really either of the other
tires) in stock.

I drove to three other places. None of them had the tires in stock.
Finally, I called Discount Tire, and asked them to order a set of
Dunlop SP-8000's. I finally accepted I would not get instant
gratification with buying tires, and instead dropped back to my
selected vendor, and to the selected tire. I figured as long as I was
waiting, might as well get the tires I wanted from the vendor I
wanted.

This is what I learned on the second day: ORDER YOUR TIRES IN
ADVANCE. They probably won't have them in stock.

THE GRISLY DETAILS
------------------
So, I ordered the tires on Monday from Discount Tire. They said they
were on backorder 4-6 weeks, but when I asked if they could get them
from another store, and they mentioned that I could with no shipping
charges in a couple days, I said "great, let's do that". Remember to
ask if they can order the tires from another store-- they may come in
more quickly if you do that.

Well, today I called back (just three days after ordering) to find
out when they would be in, like Monday or Tuesday next week or what?
They guy that took my order mentioned that he had to run out on some
emergency, and that he gave the order to someone else to fill, and
apparently it never got done, so he'd have to reorder the tires, and
"sorry about that". I said "fine" knowing that there really wasn't
any alternative, secretly totally pissed off that my order got lost.

Right after hanging up, I started to call any tire store within a 30
mile radius. Call after call after call, to at least a DOZEN stores,
NONE of them had four Dunlop SP8000 in stock. Two of them had two
tires in stock each, but I didn't want to play the game of buying
from two places. Drive 30 miles one way, load up the tires, drive 30
miles the other way, load up the tires, make two sales... too much
trouble.

On the 13th call, I reached the best and most knowledgeable person I
had ever spoken to in this experience. He said "No, I don't have the
SP8000, but did you know that tire was discontinued? It's being
replaced by the Dunlop SP5000, which, for a dollar more, is as good,
if not better a tire. And if one gets destroyed somehow you can
always easily find a replacement!"

I said "I'll look into it", and he responded "Yeah, there are lots of
sites on the Internet, check them out." So I did, and sure enough the
SP5000 on Tire rack's site looked to be an even better performer than
the SP8000. I had overlooked it for some reason, perhaps thinking
that the higher the number on the tire, the better a tire it was.
Silly me. That's what I learned today NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING IN TIRE
BRANDS.

First I called Sears back to see if they had the SP5000. Nope.

So I called back to Discount Tire to find out if they had the
SP5000's in stock.  (the other Discount Tire that told me about the
5000's was farther away and even though the employee was
knowledgeable, I had no intention of driving that far if I could
avoid it). They didn't have them in stock (big surprise there) but
they could order them and get them in three days. They guy I spoke to
was apologetic about my previous experience, so he said he'd give me
a special deal at $90/tire and could have them within the next 3 days.

I could have, again, called the dozen or so stores asking if they
instead had the SP5000's in stock, but as you can tell, I had spent
hours on this simple task of selecting a tire, selecting a vendor,
and getting the tire I wanted for a decent price. That's essentially
what I was being offered at Discount Tire. The only part I was not
getting was my instant gratification, but that would mean making up
to 12 more phone calls, and that would still mean a half an hour
drive to whoever had them in stock to get the tire I wanted.

Since Discount Tire was trying to make right by their earlier
mistake, I thanked him for his consideration, and now I am waiting
until Monday or Tuesday (depending on whether that was 3 days or 3
business days-- I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) to go get my
new Dunlop SP5000's put onto my 97 Jetta GLX.

I can't tell you how they run, because I obviously don't have them on
my car yet. But I will when I do, and you'll be the first to hear
about it. So, stay tuned for part II.

SUMMARY
-------
Make a list of criteria in what you want out of your tires. Do some
research on which tires you want. Make a list of appropriate tires.
Find out which tires are discontinued, and if there are replacement
tires for any on your list. Do some more research. Eliminate those
tires that, retail price wise exceed your budget. Then read the
survey results at tirerack.com. Do net searches on the tires you
selected.  Eliminate the ones that you don't have confidence in.

Put together a rough pricing guide, and call around to see who has or
carries the tires you want. Once you have those details, make your
selection on your vendor and your tires. Order in advance, check up
every three days to see if they came in. Then go out and buy those
tires, and tell us how you like them.

Or, you can go out and buy some Dunlop SP5000's knowing that someone
else has done a lot of that for you already. (Note, you might want to
wait until I have a few miles with those tires before you go out and
buy tires from someone who hasn't actually driven the tires yet!!!)
;-)

Hopefully this is coming in handy for you. Details about how I like
my SP5000's in my next update on this topic.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax