Startup noise and oil pressure

More from the continuing saga of rough start-ups...

Those of you that have been following my story will remember that the
startup noise began after my last oil change. It has continued, and now more
odd things are happening with my car. Recently, the non-startup came about,
and then disappeared. My horn no longer sounds when I lock the car -
although the security system still kicks in. I'm not sure why my car is
falling apart like this, but it really is annoying.

Now back to the 'whump-whump' noise. I'm now convinced that I should be
worried about it. Very worried. Now, about 1 out of five start-ups that
involve the noise also involve illumination of the oil pressure light. I'm
NOT losing oil, so a leak is not my concern right now as much as the thought
of having to replace the oil pump (anyone disagree, here?). Any idea how
much that might run, and if the STILL amateur mechanic would be able to
accomplish the mission? How about other theories?

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that I now have a popping noise when backing
out of a parking space and turning the wheel. Of course I suspect a bad C.V.
joint, because I really WANT to spend $500 to get that fixed...

David John Bergesen
1996 Jetta GLX VR6