Selling my baby..

Well, with more than a little trepidation (will I ever love a car as
much as I love this one?), I'm selling my GLX (Austin TX):

1998 VW Jetta GLX, 5-speed, Porcelain Blue / Biber Beige (gray)
Leather

  * 11,000 miles; still has some OEM bumper-to-bumper
    warranty and over 3 years of powertrain warrantee

  * almost stock; has following options or aftermarket:

    - stock leather as above with side air bags
    - Blaupunkt Sydney headunit and 10 CD changer over
      stock Bose amps and speakers; "Thumber" wheel-
      mounted remote included but not installed
    - locking gas door setup (from 1997 GLX)

    I won't list the standard equipment, given this
    audience - I assume that you all know what normally
    comes on a GLX. It's still all there and in perfect
    shape.

  * pristine condition - I'll send e-photos to interested
    parties

  * asking $17,750 - for what they're worth, the following
    sources set these values for the car:

    Edmunds:          trade-in:  $16,420  market: $18,950
    Kelly Blue Book:  trade-in:  $17,435  retail: $21,630
    Carprices.com:    wholesale: $19,719  retail: $25,697

    Gimme a break, Carprices.com - what are you folks smoking,
    and where can I get some?

I'm putting up the notice to this list because I've enjoyed reading
and contributing to this group. Maybe someone out in jettaglx land
wants a new ride, or knows someone who'll give my GLX a good home.
I'm pretty sure that I'll have no trouble selling this car locally
in Austin if no one from the mailing list is interested.

Why am I selling? Not because I don't love the car - I do. But I'm
6'6" tall, and I've never been able to get quite comfortable in the
GLX (I've had it for less than a year). Either my torso+head is too
tall, my legs are too long or my arms are too short, but I've never
gotten the driver's position just right. If the '98 had a telescope
steering wheel, or the sunroof didn't take up 2" of headroom, it
would be OK.

By the way, I'm buying a 1999 Passat 1.8T and I'll put the Garret
chip on it, but I know right now (having driven the stock Passat
1.8T and V6) that no Passat setup will approach the power and
smoothness of the VR6. Why they took the VR6 out of the Passat for
the noisy and rough Audi 2.8 V6 (call me a heretic) I'll never know.
But it is not the engine that the VR6 is.

Best regards,

Willie Anderson