Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #50

I might have some info on the whole VR4 issue.  Mitsubishi has a line of VR4
vehicles in which the V does not necessarily stand for a VX engine.  The
Galant VR4 is a four door sedan push 195hp from a turbo charged
four-cylinder engine.  As far as the US goes, there were only 3000 of these
cars produced, 2000 in 1991 and 1000 in 1992, the minimum requirement to
enter the WRC.  In Japan they have been making VR4 versions of both the
Galant and GTO (3000GT for Americans).  I think the VR4 stands for something
similar the VTEC.  I hate to make the VTEC comparison because these cars on
not typical rice boy machines.  They require a lot of skill to maintain and
are really a big pain in the ass to fix.  My roommate has car #480 and with
a few mods, was pushing close to 300hp out of a 1980cc I4.  (I think that's
the displacement, I'll check) at 17psi. So my conclusion is that this guy
was trying to impress people by putting the VR4 sticker on.  Not worse than
the guy who took a Mitsu Mirage and spent $2k on a body kit to make it look
like a Lancer Evolution V.

-Brian
2000 Jetta VR6

F.Y.I.   I learned a few months back that the 2.8L VR6 engine will soon be
seen in the Mercedes 280C.