Re: Synthetic ?

From: "Scott ffolliott" <Funcentral@webtv.net>
< ...the idea of Synthetics is to have a
> longer drain interval.  That would mean feeling safe at a factory
> recommended oil change interval of 10,000 miles.

Exactly!  I was getting tired of changing my oil every 5k (2-3 months, I
drive ~25k/yr) so I just switched to synthetic at 51.3k (a little late on my
50k).  I'm planning to leave it in there until 60k unless I do a track day
or something before then.  My choice for oil is genuine BMW 5W-40 Full
Synthetic.  This is what BMW uses in their cars that have 15k oil change
intervals.  The part # for the oil is 07-51-0-002-545.  I've seen it sold
anywhere from $3.50 to $9.00/qt, but I have a good friend who is a BMW
Motorcycle dealer Parts Manager (this is BMW car oil, though, not BMW
motorcycle oil) and he got me a case of 12 for $36.

-Chris