Re: Which Oil??

At 12:02 PM 2/5/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I am new to the list and have not been able to find a good discussion
>aboout oil. I have a '95 Jetta GLX and every time I ask someone what oil
>they run in their VR6 I get a different answer. I was thinknig about Mobil
>1 10/30 but I am still unsure. What does everyone use, and do you use the
>same oil all year?? I live in Long Island , NY to give an idea of tempature
>conditions. Even VW direct had conflicting answers!! Thanks for your
>help......
>
>Sean
>'95 Jetta GLX w/mild mods

Sean:

I also live on LI and I have a '95 Jetta. I use Castrol Syntex 5W-50 all
year. I think in the winter Mobil 1 10W-30 is fine and is superior to your
regular dino oil in that it is ideally suited for low & high temperatures.
The synthetic oil does not congeal in cold weather it coats the parts in
your engine better. Regular oil will over time run down to your oil pan and
leave upper engine parts. The synthetic sticks to the parts better over
longer periods.  You will really notice this on a cold morning when you
start your car with synthetic in lieu of the regular dino oil.  There will
be less valve noise with the synthetic oil. Also synthetic withstands very
high temperatures better without degradation.
The molecules of the synthetic are smaller they penetrate into the critical
engine parts such as bearings (main journal bearings on lower end of crank)
for better lubricity.
When you change your oil you will notice this because everything the
synthetic touches remains very slippery. On the other hand if your engine
has an oil leak the synthetic will penetrate and leak all over the place.
So you must make sure your engine seals/gaskets are in good condition.
Remember that the synthetics were originally developed for aircraft that
subject the oil to extreme temperatures both hot and cold.  In your car
synthetic will do
just fine.  Being that synthetics are much more expensive than regular oil,
a good quality Regular oil is fine also just make sure to follow your manual
regarding the weight of the oil utilized according to the operational
ambient temperature.

Take a look at this website for oil:
http://www.audicoupe.demon.co.uk/engineoil_bible.html
You will find it has a lot of info to answer your questions.

pax

Dr. Bob