RE: stock tires do not suck(oh yes they do)

Weight. Fewer complications. Depends on the type of track too.

> Why is it that today's premeir sports cars use RWD?  Viper, Ferrari,
> Lamborghini, Vette, NSX, Porche (i know they use AWD too, but it's, for
> the most
> part, a marketing thing)?

Tradition, for one thing. The "fun" factor is another. And are you trying to
tell me that the 959 was a marketing thing?

> Why is it that the fastest forms of racing in the world use RWD
> exclusively?
> IRL, Cart, NASCAR?

It's all in the rules. If any of these race organizations allowed rocket
launchers to be mounted on racecars every one of them would have them by
now.

> Anything that makes a car faster means that it makes it accelerate better,
> corner faster, or brake harder.  While these are very much speed factors,
> they
> are also safety factors.  If AWD was really an improvement over RWD in
> terms of
> safety, why hasn't any governing racing body made it madatory?

The same reason no governing racing body makes 100mph bumpers mandatory. You
gotta draw the line somewhere.

> Please don't fall into the hype, drive both types of car on the track and
> you'll
> realize how much easier it is to run a RWD car around a track than it is
> an AWD
> car.  And again, advanced track techniques like throttle steering and
> high-speed
> rotations are just NOT POSSIBLE with AWD.

I'll admit if a driver knows how to properly drive a RWD car, it can be
easier to manipulate around a track. But if that person knows how to
properly drive an AWD car, better keep an eye on your six.

Besides, how many of us drive our cars at a track more than on the road? In
real world situations, which is what most of us encounter, AWD is king.

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue