RE: Tires is now Cornering

The stock struts are actually the culprits here. They are WAY underdamped.
The factory struts cannot handle shorter, stiffer springs. You will get even
more of the oingo-boingo effect once the struts have blown. Do it right the
first time and replace the entire suspension.

> and I'd try to find out
> what the stock spring rate is from VW and find a shop that will cut you
> new
> springs under your specs.  Increase spring rate by about 20% and have the
> spring
> cut about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch lower.  20% stiffer shouldn't be that
> harsh,
> but it will be enough to arrest some of the brake dive and the sway bars
> will
> all but eliminate body roll completely.

The stock springs, if I remember correctly, are 120lb front, 75lb rear.

> Again, this is just my opinion, I have not tested this setup at all, but
> judging
> from my seat of the pants feel on the stock car, that setup should provide
> exactly what you are looking for.

The cheapest way to upgrade the stock suspension would be to mate Bilstein
HD's with cut stock springs. Cut anywhere from 1/2 a coil to a full coil
depending on your tastes. If you got a grand burning a hole in your pocket,
coilovers baby!

Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue "Porsche 911 GT3 suspension" edition