Fuel sending unit

Folks

2 weeks ago I lost the fuel sending unit in my '95 GLX.  Had it towed to
the dealer (closest place to where it died)  $750 later I am on the road
again.  Now when I first got the car back it had about 1/4 tank of gas and
I noticed a gas smell.  I figured that they had spilled a small amount or
something like that.  I got gas on my way home that evening and have been
leaving the car open in the garage each night.  Smell seemed to be
dissipating.  Now I filled the tank again last night and the smell is back
real strong.  Any idea what could be causing this?

-al
  '95 GLX aka the Black Cloud.