RE: Replacing brake rotors and pads at the same time?

There may be some disagreement with me on this, but my reading has led me to
believe that cross drilled rotors are more for looks than anything else on
the street. Often the holes lead to stress cracks in the rotors and can wear
pads quickly (think cheese grater). If you want better rotors, consider
slotted (such as ATE power disk) or cryogenically treated ($$$). Otherwise
stock should work just fine.

As far as pads go, organic tend to be quiet, offer poor braking when hot
(from hard use, not weather). Semi-metallic last forever (lifetime
warranty?) while grinding down the rotors (something is going to wear, the
pad, the rotor or both) and can be noisy. Most people seem to be happy with
either Mintex RedBox (stock braking performance, which isn't that bad, and
very low dust), or Ferodo DS2000, which give better braking performance and
about the same dust as stock. The stock pads really aren't a bad compromise
either, as mine are still looking far to thick to convince my wife to
replace (I'd like the DS2000's) after 1 track day and a season of
autocrossing.

Both pads and rotors are considered wear items, and should be replaced when
too thin. One issue with turning rotors is that the thinner rotor can not
dissipate heat as well, and will warp much more quickly.

Tim Irwin
'98 Jetta GLX
#26 GS PNWR SCCA
http://members.cascade.org/~tjirwin/tim.htm