myopia

David John's Opinion Corner:

Oh wow. I OBVIOUSLY made a cardinal mistake in claiming ONLY the 1.8T was
capable of 300hp. Clearly that is not the case. I like the power of my VR6,
and the distribution of that power. I just have this feeling (notice, I
didn't say 'I KNOW') that there are more bolt-on goodies, turbo upgrades,
and chip reprograms available for the highly applauded four cylinder turbo
than there are comparable parts for the 2.8 VR6.
Plus Audi has the advantage already mentioned of having better fit and
finish, aerodynamics (than my A3), noise reduction, and AWD. For me at
least, that makes it an entirely different car.
I think if I had a choice between a 1.8T A4 and a 2.8 V6 A4, and wanted
nothing more than quick 0-60 times, I'd go with the 1.8. They post
comparable numbers in stock form, and thinking that an extra $3000 worth of
pre-manufactured, dynoed bolt-ons could give the 1.8 a serious speed edge,
I'd go for it. The problem in the whole thing is that $3000 would only be
able to buy suspension/handling goodies for the 2.8, because engine
performance components are just not in the same abundance as they are for
the 1.8T. One HUGE consideration in the search for engines is that the 1.8T
is considerably lighter, a fact that undoubtedly has a marked effect on
handling - ever notice how badly your nose-heavy VR6 likes to plow?
As for the VR6, $3000 won't even buy you the AMS supercharger that boosts
output to 250hp.
I don't profess to know which car is better - heck, neither car is, unless
you think it is. I still stick to my guns and say that an M3, S4, or CLK320
are the cars I would consider next.

DJ