glx springs

I am thinking about cutting the springs on my 96 glx.  Has anyone ever done this, is it recommended, will it handle better, how do I do it exactly, how much should I cut, etc..........I now this is kind of a cheap-ass way of lowering a car but I am in college on a tight budget and I hate the huge fender gap.  I would rather spend the money on engine mods than new springs.  I have heard so many conflicting opinions on which springs to buy and how much they will lower a glx that I have about decided to take this route.  If anyone has any info on cutting springs on a 96 glx, please let me know, especially those of you who may have done this.
thanx
stu
96 glx, 5-sp., sequoia green, K&N drop-in/modified airbox, Blue Igniter plug wires, Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, Euro switch, Momo knob/boot, Kenwood deck, tint
vr6stu@duesouth.net