Re: glx springs

"Stuart L.Saum" wrote:

> I am thinking about cutting the springs on my 96 glx.  Has anyone ever
> done this, is it recommended, will it handle better, how do I do it
> exactly, how much should I cut, etc..........I now this is kind of a
> cheap-ass way of lowering a car but I am in college on a tight budget
> and I hate the huge fender gap.  I would rather spend the money on
> engine mods than new springs.  I have heard so many conflicting
> opinions on which springs to buy and how much they will lower a glx
> that I have about decided to take this route.  If anyone has any info
> on cutting springs on a 96 glx, please let me know, especially those
> of you who may have done this.thanxstu96 glx, 5-sp., sequoia green,
> K&N drop-in/modified airbox, Blue Igniter plug wires, Bosch Platinum
> +4 plugs, Euro switch, Momo knob/boot, Kenwood deck,
> tintvr6stu@duesouth.net

    I would not recommend doing this .. from a performance standpoint,
the stock springs are not stiff enough to begin with.  The car bottoms
out on almost every major pothole in NYC and under hard-driving
situations, I can bottom out the front-end under moderate braking.
Cutting the stock springs will not increase spring rate, it will only
reduce the available spring travel.  On top of this, the stock shocks
will have to operate in a different range than they were originally
intended and this will destroy them prematurely, a good after-market
shock is recommended if you are going to do this.

    If money is an issue, look around your area for a custom spring
maker, usually in the form of a domestic race shop (NASCAR type
stuff).   They usually have all different diameter / rate springs
sitting around that they can cut to any height and because there isn't
any fancy packaging, colored cover, or R&D work that goes into these
springs, they're considerably cheaper than going with something like
Eibach.   Go to Pep Boys, pick up a spring compressor set for about $45,
and you can save yourself a lot of dough there as well, there isn't
anything about the suspension on the Jetta that can't be fixed/replaced
in a small garage with basic tools, it doesn't even require much in the
way of technical know-how.

Hope this helped ...

Bill
'98 GLX