Re: I can no longer drive my car the same

David S,

   Quite so. I am perfectly in accord with you in these matters. I have
known WAY too many snobs in Bimmers. Especially in college, when mom and dad
sent them off to school with a 328 or M3, and they would drive around as
though they'd earned it.
    I, however, am interested in an M3 purely for motorsport value. 50/50
weight balance, superb tranny, and great engine. PLUS teutonic styling.
    As for the satisfaction aspect, please don't misunderstand me. I
understand the value of what I have, and the fact that we all need to be
content with what God has placed in our lives. I'm not trying to sound like
my VR6 is 'beneath' me. I love the car, but have always had it knowing that
it would be replaced. It's a GREAT car in my opinion. Better than all others
that I've owned. BUT it doesn't necessarily meet all of my expectations in
an automobile. I just couldn't afford anything other than a three year old
Jetta GLX at the time I bought it.
    Regarding how much the noises bother me (and your suggested solution), I
HAVE indeed removed all the door panels and double or triple insulated and
checked all 'conflicting' surfaces. I have lined, layered, and lubed more
parts than I thought the car had. I've even removed parts of the seats, trim
(those pieces that I could figure out how to remove), etc in order to
isolate and eliminate the sounds. There's always something more, though. And
my radio doesn't mask all of this. Perhaps the persistence of the sounds is
part of my present frustration.
    The noises that bother me are not solely mechanical, either. There is a
constant whistle over the windshield, and the hum/buzz of road noise/wind
noise is a little much to bear - I am one for LONG trips (say, 1600 miles in
two days), and from a physiological standpoint (as with my experiences in
Naval Aviation), noise can be just as fatiguing as lack of rest.
    I wanted to address these points IMMEDIATELY, because from your post, it
sounds as though you think I am one of those snobs, and that I have no
respect for what has been placed before me. That is not the case. I am not
one of these 'kids' who runs around 'fronting' (is that the right word?),
trying to 'pick up chicks' in my 'phat' ride. I am simply a young Christian
professional who happens to be an automotive enthusiast, with different
wants than my current vehicle addresses. If you have any doubt as to my
intentions in discussing future automotive ownership, please let me know.

God Bless,
David John
('96 GLX VR6)