Re: I can no longer drive my car the same

At 5:06 PM -0600 04/11/2000, D.J. Bergesen wrote:

>I wanted to address these points IMMEDIATELY, because from your
>post, it sounds as though you think I am one of those snobs, and
>that I have no respect for what has been placed before me.

That's right-- *I* am the snob. I am the one who has no respect for
what's before me. :)

There isn't a single car (GTI VR6 excepted) that is on or about
$24,000 list price that is superior to the Jetta as a sports sedan or
coupe, IMO. With that disclaimer out of the way, let's get real:

The Jetta GLX sucks. Not sucks REAL HARD sucks, but it does suck in
many ways. Now come on, admit it. (And we're talking stock here,
guys, don't jump down my throat if you've spent untold hours and
dollars modding yours up) With 2.8L of displacement, the engine
should be able to push past 200hp. I'm no engine guru, but it
wouldn't have taken much more to bump it up. Of course, the VR6
engine is about a decade old in its current incarnation, so that's
not too surprising, is it? You can't expect a 80386 processor to
power a modern supercomputer, right?

Further, the GLX is not a luxury sport sedan. There's a reason why
A4's and Volvos' and Mercedes cost more. The VW is the people's car,
and hence, is priced for the average buyer. Like I was three years
ago when I bought the car. There was no better choice for me at the
time (and probably isn't now for the same budget) but for those
looking for a more refined car, the Jetta isn't it.

>  That is not the case. I am not one of these 'kids' who runs around
>'fronting' (is that the right word?), trying to 'pick up chicks' in
>my 'phat' ride.

I am! I want chicks! Huhuh. Yea! ;-)

>I am simply a young Christian professional who happens to be an
>automotive enthusiast, with different wants than my current vehicle
>addresses. If you have any doubt as to my intentions in discussing
>future automotive ownership, please let me know.

I am materially an alternative kind of guy. I don't use a PC, I use
Unix and Macs. I don't drive a Honda, I drive a VW. I don't have
Cable, I have DirecTV. I don't have a modem, cable modem, or DSL, I
have a Frame Relay T1 to my home. I don't use IE, I use Netscape. I
don't shop at Costco, I shop at Nordstrom.

In other words, I have discerning taste, and that means my next car
will not be a VW, it will be an Audi or a BMW. For this reason, I can
understand the comment that "hyundai and saturn suck". They do. They
suck a lot more than a Jetta does. On the other hand, they cost a lot
less too. But money means very little to me as long as I have enough
of it to get what I want. No, I'm not loaded, but I sure do enjoy
spending my money! Why spend it if you're not going to enjoy what you
get? :)

So, I see both sides of the coin, but clearly have a preference for
heads over tails, so to speak.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax