Re: Coilovers vs. Shocks/Springs/Struts

Thanks to Chuck and Steve for the responses...

I still have a question about how the components attach still. If
these things car vary, take the Jetta as an example.

You bolt the strut to the body of the car, and to the axle or some
other fixture on the drivetrain, that I understand.

The question still remains in my mind... Chuck used the words "spring
perch". How do you attach a spring to a spring perch? Or does it just
stay in place due to the weight of the car (not likely, what happens
if you try to tow the car, or catch some air...?)

Does the spring "thread through" an eye in the strut? Does it have a
threaded hole through which to pass a bolt to affix it to the
drivetrain and to the body of the car? Do you simply "coil" it
through an opening?

I just can't picture how, mechanically, the spring is kept in place.
I guess the simplest thing to do is to crawl under my car or
something...

-K

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax