Re: Coilovers vs. Shocks/Springs/Struts

Good questions Khan. I wondered the same thing about coil overs so I checked one
out. This is what I came away with...

Basically, a coilover is just like an entire "stock" strut assembly with one
major difference: The lower spring perch can be raised or lowered by screwing it
up or down the strut body and tightening a lock ring against it. The coilover is
made to fit in on the same mounts as the strut assembly.

Since it is spring height that sets the actual ride height of the car, raising or
lowering the lower spring perch allows you to raise or lower the car. This is the
other difference between coilovers and regular struts: when you lower a car with
standard struts, you do so by either replacing the spring with a shorter one or
cutting the existing ones. On a coilover, you lower the car by compressing the
spring. A compressed spring is a stiffer spring, so a coilover is generally going
to give you a much stiffer ride.

To answer your question about upward and downward motion, the upward motion is
stopped by the upper and lower spring perches, just like a regular strut. I'm not
sure what stops the downward motion, but I would imaging that if you compressed
it enough, the coilover would bottom out by either compressing the spring until
the coils touched or until the shock hit the end of it's "throw". Standard struts
come with a rubber bumber that rides on the shock piston to absorb the blow from
the strut bottoming out...I don't know if coilovers have the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Van Pelt
'95 Jetta GLX "Rainy Northwest Edition"