RE: Coilovers vs. Shocks/Springs/Struts

At 3:29 PM -0400 04/06/2000, Ng, Kevin (Bank of America Commercial Finance)

>Yup. "Shocks" is not really the proper terminology, since they're not really
>doing any of the shock absorbing (that's what the springs are for). Call 'em
>dampers or struts.

So, what we're looking at (correct me if I stray from reality) is
that struts are bolted to the wheel assembly and to the body of the
car. The springs are somehow connected to both as well.

When you hit a bump, the spring compresses, absorbing the energy from
the impact. The struts, because they can compress or extend with the
springs (filled with either fluids or gasses) provide a dampening
force to make the spring less "bouncy"... in other words, damping the
spring.

The tighter your spring, the harsher the initial impact and the
rebound from the spring. The stiffer (more heavy duty) the strut, the
more force it exerts on the spring to normalize the spring.

The looser your spring (think shock springs) the bouncier the ride.
And, if the struts aren't very stiff, the ride will tend to float up
and down and up and down for more oscillations than if there were
stiffer struts.

Is that correct?

If so, what I'd like to know is how the mechanism actually works...
the struts, it seems would simply be bolted between the wheel
assembly and the body. The springs are connected... how? To the
strut? Around the strut? What stops it's upward and downward motion?

Thx for the info.

-K

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax