GLX purchase?

Hello,

I probably should go look in the archives, but I'm going to go ahead and
ask a general GLX purchase question.

I currently am running a 91 Passat GL with 163K. Mods include a Neuspeed
chip, euro lights, K&N, Teutonics
exhaust and a hollowed out Cat. and a few other small things.

Anyway, it's time to freshen up the daily driver and after considering
the new 1.8T  GTI's and Jettas, I'm coming
back to the MK111 Jetta's. My brother has a GT that I finally drove for
the first time yesterday and figured would
be a much better car with more HP.

My 2.0L 16v has it's share of idiosynchrasies (sp?) with bad motor
mounts, idle stabilizing valves, etc. What if anything am I looking at
in the purchase of low mileage 96 or 97 GLX's? What are people paying
for these cars
currently? Any other advice would be great.

BTW, I probably won't be modifying this car to the extent that I did my
Passat as I've developed another bad
habit in BMW motorcycles. Just want a fun to drive daily car that can be
modestly bullet proof.

Thanks,

Shaun Sartin
Aurora, IL