Re: Speeding ticket

At 12:46 PM -0400 9/13/99, marlin@kodak.com wrote:
>From: Matthew P. Marlin
>
>While we're on the subject...I got a ticket Labor Day going 60 mph downhill
>in a 45 mph zone in my GLX.  The officer asked me if I knew what the speed
>limit was prior to writing the ticket and I said, "35?".  Subsequently he
>wrote the ticket for 60 in a 40 (huh?).  I've taken photos of the posted
>speed limit signs (45 mph) with landmarks next to where I was pulled over
>also in the picture.
>My question is, what's the technicality that I can use to dismiss this
>potential infraction in court?  If I were a police officer (yikes), it
>would seem like common sense for me to know the actual posted speed limit
>on the stretch of road I was monitoring *prior* to pulling someone over.
>
>Matt
>'96 GLX

Perhaps try to say you were going 50 in a 45, instead of a 60 in a
40? You can prove that you were in a 45 zone, so then you can try to
argue that if the cop was wrong about the speed limit sign, he could
also be wrong about whether the indicator actually said 60, or 50.
After all, the LED indicator in the radar detector looks like the
following:

  _   _
|_  | |
|_| |_|
  _   _
|_  | |
  _| |_|

The only difference is one LED indicator, which the cop could have
gotten wrong.

-Khan