lumpy idle during startup?

Just got my car (97 Jetta GLX) back from the shop (smacked a curb--+$3k in
repairs..ouch), and now on occasion when I start the car I get a lumpy idle
that has never occurred before. Yesterday when it happened again I decided
to pop the hood and see what was going on. Here's what I noticed:

-a sound like air leaking from around the throttle body area. Could not
pinpoint.
-looked at coolant reservoir. Level is right at "MIN". But what's this
bubbling! Hmm...

Both these symptoms disappear immediately after driving off. They are
obviously related, but what's the connection here? At first I was thinking
that a hose was loose and just had to be re-clamped, but then why does it go
away after driving just 10 feet? There are no signs of escaping fluid
anywhere.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer (Continental VW in Fairfield
CT--highly recommended--great service), but I'm going to Hong Kong for two
weeks starting Friday. So, any ideas now would be helpful.

Thanks!
Kevin Ng

BTW, my "Uwe-improved" Optima battery actually came loose during my brief
encounter with the curb. That small metal bracket just ain't enough to hold
that sucker down. Looks like I'll be getting a large "U" shaped bracket
soon..