any ideas on engine steam cleaning???

I'm looking into steam cleaning my 1998 vr6 engine.
Its to the point where a little Simple Green & WD-40
(hand job, pardon the pun) will no longer do the job.
Has anyone on this list used this method of cleaning
their engine? Or, should I just take the high road &
spend all day hand cleaning with WD & Simple Green?
Any other options? I know Gunk puts out a do-it your-
self product that washes off with water but, I want
to stay away from that; besides, after I cover all
the electronics, I'd just as well give it that hand
job.

Thanks