Re: 1.8t swap

If you're willing to spend enough money and you're on very good terms with a
shop that can do custom fabrication, you can make just about any engine fit
in any car.  For this type of swap, everything would have to be custom
fabricated, & the wiring would have to be custom made as well.  This would
all be extraordinarily expensive, & therefore, I would have to ask what it
is you're looking to get out of such a project.  This is not meant to be a
rhetorical question to make you feel unintelligent.  Rather, because of the
extraordinary expense involved, I don't think I can give you a valid opinion
without knowing the motive behind such a swap.

If you simply want a unique combination, & you have the financial resources
for such a project, then I would say that you need to talk to the best hot
rod shop you can find about your project.  While such shops are usually
focused on American cars rather than Europeans, they are your best bet for
custom work.  These are the type of shops that fit Corvette drive trains
into pre-war cars with excellent results in fit, finish, & driveability.
They have the skills & equipment to custom make anything you can dream up.
However, for the money it would cost you, you could probably buy a brand new
VW & a brand new Volvo & have plenty of money left to modify both.

If you're thinking of doing this project because you like the T5's engine,
you'd be much better off financially by selling your Dad's car & buying a
T5.

If it's more power that you're after, your best bet is simply to modify your
Dad's VR6.

Either way, good luck.  If you do actually pull off such a swap, I'd love to
see pictures as it would probably be the first of its kind.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB