RE: Price Check

One of the factors to consider when trading your car in is the tax benefit of
trading it in vs. selling it outright.  I'm not sure if this is the case in
other states, but in Texas, you are not taxed on the portion of a car's
purchase price that is covered by your trade-in.  The following is a
simplified example:

The purchase price of the car you are buying is $20,000.00.
The dealership is offering you $7,000.00 for your trade-in.
You owe $2,000.00 on the car you are trading in.
Therefore, $5,000.00 would be applied toward the purchase price of the car you
are buying.
If you trade your car in, you would only be taxed on $15,000.00 instead of
$20,000.00.

Sales tax on vehicle purchases in Texas (new or used) is 6.25%.  Therefore, by
accepting the dealer's trade-in offer, the sales tax would be $937.50 instead
of $1,250.00.

Like I said earlier, I know that this is applicable in Texas, but I'm not sure
how it works in other states.  I would suggest that you get your car appraised
for trade-in, & add the tax benefit of the trade-in (if any) to the trade-in
value.  If you are able to sell your car for more than that, you are better
off selling it yourself.

The reason that I suggest having your car appraised vs. simply calculating the
tax benefit using a published wholesale value is that often, in order to sell
you a car, the dealership will give you more than wholesale on your trade
while still giving you a decent price on the car you are buying.  They do this
because they know that they can usually make up the difference on their used
car lot.

Good luck!

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX