From: owner-jettaglx@igtc.com [mailto:owner-jettaglx@igtc.com]On Behalf Of David Bergesen
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 1999 6:38 PM
To: Jetta GLX mailing list
Subject: Shifter stuff.

    I shortened my shifter 2.5" today, along with all my other work. I tried re-threading the column, but, er, it didn't happen. I managed about .5", before it became impossible. I used a hacksaw (I'm nearly broke, so the Dremel didn't happen) to cut it, and I nearly started a fire in my car! The thing was smokin' up a storm. It was cool. It took about 15 minutes to saw through, it wasn't too resistant.
    I'm leaving the stock knob on for now, it does not come out on my shifter. Once I find a knob I like, I'll do some cutting and sewing of the leather boot and discard the stock knob (whose leather is wearing down - rather unsightly). Until then, the knob stays on the column well, it just rotates a bit during shifts.

-ENS D.J. Bergesen
Student Naval Aviator
djbergesen@dotstar.net
96 Jetta GLX VR6  "V WAFFE"