FYI: How to adjust your mirrors (WAS Re: Autobahn Mirror)

>Just wanted to let everyone know about a neat little product I stumbled
>upon.  For the true German enthusiast out there, there is an accessory
>called the "Autobahn Mirror" which increases visibility in the driver's
>side blindspot area.
>
>This mirror looks nicer than the "Old Man's" round convex stick-ons.
>
>It is used by the German Polizei (nice endorsement).  I have one in my
>Jetta and find it extremely useful.  If you are interested, check out
>http://www.autobahnmirror.com or http://www.jps.net/concept7/
>
>Jim W.

This is, IMO, a waste of $20 and clutter inside your car.

There was a wonderful article on www.vw.com (which appears to now be gone)
but I will summarize it, because it has convinced me that there is NO
reason for products like this.

I will try to assume the voice of the article as it was written. The person
who was writing it was a professional stunt/performance driver drive tester
for VWOA.

"One of the things I get asked about most often by amateur and consumer
drivers is how to set your side view and rear view mirrors, and proper
technique in changing lanes. I am constantly surprised at how often people
don't know how to set their mirrors correctly, and that affects your lane
changing behavior.

First, you should set your rear view mirror. Align the mirror left/right so
that you can barely see your right ear, when you look directly at the
mirror. This will ensure that you get a clear view of the rear of the car.
If necessary, you should adjust the mirror in case the drivers side rear
pillar is blocking the view and adjusting it so that you can barely see the
edge of the pillar. This will also give you the best view towards the
passenger's rear side of the car.

Next, align the mirror in the vertical direction. Your tilt mirror should
be bent down during daylight driving, and angled towards the ceiling for
nighttime driving. Many people I speak to point it towards the back seat
during night time driving, and because the rear seats are more cluttered
than the ceiling of the car, it is best to angle it towards the ceiling at
night to prevent glare.

Next come the side mirrors. You may want to enlist the help of a friend to
convince you that this system is extremely reliable. Generally, your right
mirror is convex, meaning that you will see more of a field of vision in
that mirror (although the image is distorted to make things appear farther
than they really are). The trick here is to align the mirror to angle OUT
away from the car until you can not see the back corner of your car. Have
your friend stand at your rear right taillight, even with the back of the
car, and adjust it just so you can see his hips or shoulders. This will
allow you complete view of the lane(s) to your right, behind you.

Using the same technique, adjust the drivers-side side mirror, having your
friend stand at the rear left of the car so you can barely see his hips. If
you can see the lane behind you from the side view mirror, you have it
angled too closely to your car. It might seem unnatural at first, but your
side drivers side mirror should not provide visibility behind you. That is
why you have a rear view mirror.

At this stage, you should have a comprehensive coverage of the area to the
side and behind your car. The average driver's peripheral vision is
approximately 135 degrees. The mirrors allow you to see the 135 degrees
directly behind you from the mirrors, for a total of about 270 degrees of
vision. The remaining 90 degrees are your blind spots. 45 degrees to the
left, and 45 degrees to your right. This means that you can turn your head
towards each side view mirror and get a glance of your blind spot through
your peripheral vision alone.

All that remains is setting the side view mirrors' vertical inclination,
which should show the lane markers approximately one to two car lengths
behind your car (or your friends feet, when he is standing two car lengths
behind, and one car width left or right). You may defer to personal
preference here, and may adjust your mirrors to match headlight and other
issues.

To recap, this system of adjusting your mirrors allows you the following.

The rear view mirror gives a clear view of what is behind you. Never use
your side view mirror to look at rear view traffic. This creates a larger
blind spot than necessary.

The right side view mirror is convex and this gives an angled view of the
field of view behind and to the right of you. You should be able to follow
a car (or your friend running around behind your car at different
distances) from your rear view mirror to your right side mirror in a
continuous glance. Your blind spot, if any, exists just over your right
shoulder, and you should be able to inspect this blind spot from your
peripheral vision when checking your right mirror.

A similar situation exists for the left side mirror, although it is not
convex, and requires a little more of a look over the shoulder for absolute
clearance. Still, you should be able to see your blind spot when you look
to inspect your mirror.

Using this mirror adjustment strategy, you never have to "look over your
shoulder", you can simply inspect your blind spot by turning your head to
first view the mirror, and then inspect your blind spot through your
peripheral vision as your head is tilted towards the mirror. This ensures
the most alert and consistent head placement while you are driving ensuring
that while you ensure you are safe for a lane change, that you can keep an
eye on the road in front of you.

Regardless of how you adjust your mirrors, one of the most important factor
in driving safely is feeling comfortable with the information you are
obtaining through your mirrors. If this mirror configuration initially
feels uncomfortable, ask your friend to walk around different parts of your
car while you watch him in your mirrors. You should be able to see him 360
degrees around you car while ONLY turning your head as far left as your
left mirror, and as far right as your right mirror.

The skill you must develop is to check the rear and the left view mirrors
before turning left, and the right view and rear view mirrors before
turning right. Once you have convinced yourself that you can see 360
degrees around your car while sitting and facing forward the entire time,
you will never go back to another mirror configuration."

-Khan