Re: Neat new product I found: Autobahn Mirror

Checked it out.  Looks like it just does the same job as if you adjusted
your mirrors properly.

I noticed in the picture on the site that the drivers side mirror is
adjusted so that the person could see the side of their car.  This is
(IMHO) a silly place to have your mirrors adjusted to.

I got this off of one of the VW's sites (i forget where), but here's how
i adjust my mirrors, and i find it incredibly better...

Your rear-view mirror should be adjusted to view your entire rear
window, with the drivers side just outside your view range.  Then your
passenger's side mirror should be out so that you can see the passenger
lane, and the driver's so that you can see the lane beside you on the
driver's side.

There should be no "point" overlap.  That is, if you take a ruler, and
have someone walk around behind your car, you shouldn't be able to see
the ruler in the person's hand in more than one mirror at a time. (cars
being much wider than rulers, you will of course see them in more than
one mirror).

It actually takes some time to get adjusted to this style.  But here's
what i find, after having it liek this for a while:

If i can see the car in the rear view mirror, i KNOW i'm ahead of it,
and it's safe to change lanes.

My blind spots are almost nil.  I only have to take a quick peek to the
side (not over the shoulder) to make sure that there is no car directly
beside me.  ( peripheral vision being what it is, this is in fact only a
"security" check.  i can see the cars out of the corner of my eye, but i
want to make sure i'm not halucinating)

I think that if you adjust your mirrors like this (and give it a few
days to get used to it, it's definitely weird at first), you'll find no
need for the autobahn-mirror thingy.

SUndie...

--

Stewart MacLund				Systems Integrator