Re: shifter removal

WAIT!!!!

1:  Get a tap/die set from the local hardware store
2:  The die size that you need is 12mm by 1.50 pitch
        NOTE:  I think that is the right size, anyone disagree??
3:  Re-thread the shifter about 1 - 1.5" (however much you will be cutting)
        NOTE:  USE CUTTING FLUID!!!!
4:  Leave the die on the stick when you cut it down
5:  When you back off the die, it will clean up the threads as it is coming off
6:  Put the shifter knob back on and you are set to go

I would suggest a hack-saw and line it up on top of the die as you are
cutting to make sure that you are cutting straight.

Good luck,
Chris
'97 Jetta GLX VR6

At 06:48 AM 5/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Taylor,
>    I'll tell you after this weekend. I'll either buy a multi-speed Dremel
($40 at Walmart) with some Fiberglas cutting wheels, or I'll use a pneumatic
cutter if the garage on base has one. Pull off the shifter boot, undo the
shift knob, remove. Cover as much of the interior as you can, so all the
flying metal particles won't get into the leather or the CD player, or
whatever, and then start cutting. I did this on my old 96 Cavalier, and
liked it very much. I trimmed it down 2", and although it's not a "true"
short throw shifter, it's perceived effect is quite similar, and whenever I
switch over to driving the Chevy, it's throws are MUCH shorter. The only
problem I foresee is that the stock knob screws on, and by cutting the
column down, I will lose the threaded element. Maybe I'll just transfer the
Momo from the Cav until I can get a new one...

>-ENS D.J. Bergesen
>Student Naval Aviator
>djbergesen@dotstar.net
>96 Jetta GLX VR6  "V WAFFE"
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=utf-8 http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=GENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Taylor,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll tell you after this
>weekend. I'll either buy a multi-speed Dremel ($40 at Walmart) with some
>Fiberglas cutting wheels, or I'll use a pneumatic cutter if the garage on base
>has one. Pull off the shifter boot, undo the shift knob, remove. Cover as much
>of the interior as you can, so all the flying metal particles won't get
into the
>leather or the CD player, or whatever, and then start cutting. I did this
on my
>old 96 Cavalier, and liked it very much. I trimmed it down 2&quot;, and
although
>it's not a &quot;true&quot; short throw shifter, it's perceived effect is
quite
>similar, and whenever I switch over to driving the Chevy, it's throws are MUCH
>shorter. The only problem I foresee is that the stock knob screws on, and by
>cutting the column down, I will lose the threaded element. Maybe I'll just
>transfer the Momo from the Cav until I can get a new one...</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>-ENS D.J. Bergesen<BR>Student Naval
>Aviator<BR><A
>href="mailto:djbergesen@dotstar.net">djbergesen@dotstar.net</A><BR>96 Jetta
GLX