Re: shifter removal

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bergesen <djbergesen@dotstar.net>
To: jettaglx@igtc.com <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Date: Friday, May 07, 1999 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: shifter removal

Taylor,
    I'll tell you after this weekend. I'll either buy a multi-speed Dremel ($40 at Walmart) with some Fiberglas cutting wheels, or I'll use a pneumatic cutter if the garage on base has one. Pull off the shifter boot, undo the shift knob, remove. Cover as much of the interior as you can, so all the flying metal particles won't get into the leather or the CD player, or whatever, and then start cutting. I did this on my old 96 Cavalier, and liked it very much. I trimmed it down 2", and although it's not a "true" short throw shifter, it's perceived effect is quite similar, and whenever I switch over to driving the Chevy, it's throws are MUCH shorter. The only problem I foresee is that the stock knob screws on, and by cutting the column down, I will lose the threaded element. Maybe I'll just transfer the Momo from the Cav until I can get a new one...

-ENS D.J. Bergesen
Student Naval Aviator
djbergesen@dotstar.net
96 Jetta GLX VR6  "V WAFFE"

Sounds like a good plan! Is there any merit to the idea of possibly using some type of adhesive in order to attach the knob back to the lever? Also, what do you plan to do about the fact that the boot is made to fit the lever as-is and you're planning to shorten it by 2"?

Taylor Oliver
taylor@ionet.net
1998 GLX Tornado Red / Black Leather / 5 speed