Re: New Lister w/'98

Ohh no no ... please ... the GLX was my idea.  Mom and dad were looking into something in the sub-$20K range, like a BUG ... I wouldn't hear of it.  It had to be VR6 or nothin.  I'm very very pleased with my decision.

As far as the under/over steer ...  I don't know.  The sidewalls on the stock rubber are too tall and the first time I really threw it into a corner (running 45PSI cause I knew I was gonna throw it around)  .... I cut up the sidewalls pretty bad.  I've been reluctant to really really thrash it around.   But there's a 180 degree, 55mph (marked at 25) sweeper near my house .. and the first thing to get off line is always the rear .. even under full power in second gear at that speed.  I can't recall ever having the front lose it's cornering line except for that slight hydroplane at 105 that caught me by surprise :)    But even then, it's just a right-foot-adjustment away from getting right back on track.

As far as the chip ... is it a pop-out / pop-in type thing?  If I don't like the results, can I just throw the stock one back in???  If I have to get the car serviced .. is there a black-box that will tell VW I used a different chip?

Bill
'98 Jetta GLX

"Ng, Kevin (NationsCredit)" wrote:

Hey Bill, welcome to the family. I think you will find that your parents'
decision to get the GLX over the Eclipse was indeed a very wise one. Kinda
strange that you mentioned oversteer, because these cars are notorious for
big time understeer. Maybe you're still breaking in the car and you just
haven't pushed it hard enough yet :) Anyway, the stock suspension is one the
weakest parts of the car. I suggest some Bilsteins; they will give you much
improved performance with little or no degradation in ride comfort. For that
little extra oomph you want many listers have upgraded to a performance
chip. Garrett chips seems to be the one of choice for the VR6
(http:// ). Be careful though--some dealers are trying to use
this as an excuse to void your powertrain warranty....YMMV

Also, if you open up the airbox you will see a cone inside the cover.
Removing this cone will add a few hp and a nice sound to boot. The airbox is
not as restrictive as you might think; there are several intake points for
the air to get in. One can be found on the side next to the fender (with an
elbow shaped hose connected to the fender), and another one behind the
airbox in case the other passages get blocked.

Hope that helps,
Kevin
97 GLX Windsor Blue