Re: Nitrous (was: Schrick manifold gains?)

Billy T. wrote:

> Costs about 30 bucks to fill a bottle.  You would need to fill it about 150
> times to equal the cost of a blower.  The beauty of the bottle is that you
> can drive around town and get perfectly normal gas milage, and drivability.
> Only use it at the track and for the occasional street race.  I am not a
> super advocate of the juice, it just needs to be seen that it is the only
> real, cost effective mod to get any power out of our cars.

Ok, in that respect, it makes perfect sense.  Even more sense (barring the
explosion of the engine) is to use a supercharger around town all the time AND
use nitrous for the occasional race.  Ahh, if only everything was free :)

> BTW, it took me 5-6 hours to get the rear shock bolt off of my 83 Rabbit...
> I feel your pain.  I would tell you what I did, but I think I was
> dillusional by the time finally got the bolt out

Yeah, no sh*t.  I did it today -- cut off end with Dremel; center punch; use
seven different sizes of drill bits to drill through the bolt (break two);
somehow get drill pointing the wrong direction (ever smell a drill going
through a rubber bushing?); have to try to drill sideways to counteract
previous stupidity; finally break that bastard loose.  This is NOT something I
really want to do again, thank you.  I think that side probably took me 5-6hrs
too + finding the right bolt to replace the drilled one.  The other side took
10 minutes...

I guess its expected after almost 17yrs and 12x,xxx mi. though -- everything
was original.

Needless to say, after replacing the front inserts, strut bearings, tie rods,
exhaust, rear shocks, transmission fluid and the oil all in 1.5 days, I don't
want to see the underside of my Rabbit for awhile :)

-erik