Re: Stereo

Several posts recently have stated that stereo installers are saying you
have to replace, lose, and/or rewire your speakers and/or rear amp if
you want a new head unit. AFAIK, the rear amp receives amplified output
from the stock head unit as the car comes from the factory, and can
therefore handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. I replaced my
head unit over a year ago with a normal old Sony, and the guy who
installed it (head installer at a local shop, who himself drives a
Corrado) did a direct replacement. That is, the existing speakers,
wiring, and rear amp stayed right where they were, and he pumped the
normal old _amplified_ signal directly into the rear amp. I have had no
problems (smoke, fire, flame, snap, crackle, pop, etc.) yet, and the
sound quality improvement is indescribable -- although I did describe it
last year; that and many other treatments of this topic can of course be
found in the searchable archives.

Bruce Stapley
98 blk/blk
Sony CDX-C760 in-dash CD deck
Pirelli P7000 215/40ZR16s on O.Z. Cignus rims