From: Joel T. Bell [mailto:joel.bell@duke.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 10:37 AM
To: GLX LIST; GIS List
Subject: VW Service strikes again!

Okay, went to the dealer this morning for an oil change and to get my free brake fluid change.  First off, I had an appointment for "first thing in the morning-8am".  So I show up at 8, and the service manager says "you've got more than 24,000 on the car so the brake fluid change isn't covered under Protection Plus".  I told him to check again cause I made a point of checking on it myself and it's 2 years, unlimited mileage.  He flips through some warranty stuff and says he has to check it out.  An hour later I see my car pull into the service area...They're just getting started!  Service manager comes in and says he checked it out and the fluid change isn't covered...he checked with the mechanic.  Okay, forget it for now...even though I know it IS covered.  I didn't have my warranty booklet there to prove it and he was certain it wasn't covered.  So I get home and check it out..."Brake Fluid and Air Cleaner Element Change-2 years unlimited miles".  Bunch of assholes.  In addition, it took another hour to change the oil!  I spent two hours there to get an oil change!  So I grab the phone to call VW Customer Relations and tell them that they have a bunch of incompetent schmucks working at Land VW in Durham and guess what?  They're closed!  The message said due to a water main break they are closed and to please try back tomorrow!  I love my car, but I'm starting to get fed-up with the service I've been getting.

Joel T. Bell
Duke University
Nicholas School of the Environment
Coastal Environmental Management Program