Cleaning Plastic trim

When I was waxing my '90 Jetta, I got a little wax on the plastic trim
on the doors in a couple places and on the rear bumper... I've had a
bitch of a time getting it off...  Tried a product called "black chrome"
to cover it up, and while it made my trim (it was faded grey almost
before and now it looks jet black) look better than new where there was
no wax, the places that had a little white wax on them still show
through... Is there anything I can put on it to remove it?

Also, does anyone know where I can order replacement shifter
boots/parking break "boots"?  The end of the one on my parking break is
worn through and looks like crap... I've seen tons of shirter boots
around, but never a replacement for these...  I could probably get one
through VW, but I'm worried about cost -- what do those things run?

Thanks